The École Socrates-Démosthène physical education program aims to develop the student’s physical and social skills. We particularly want to develop in each participant their muscular strength, cardiovascular endurance and flexibility. In addition, the teacher will have the responsibility to teach students the importance of physical activity and the practice of good habits. The students then will be equipped with basic elements that will allow them to develop their sportsmanship, athletic behavior and leadership.
The main goal for Physical Education in school is to help each child develop his or her potential and cognitive, social, psychomotor and creative abilities.[message_box title=”Objectives” color=”yellow”]
- Contribute to the physical development of the students
- Increase and maintain fitness to the maximum
- Develop essential physical skills
- Cultivate sportsmanship and team spirit
- Develop an awareness of cultural, traditional and social activities
- Develop healthy leisure skills
- Develop intellectual skills
- Develop creativity
- Increase self-esteem
- Ensure that students are training in a way that allows them to exploit their full potential
Regulations and Procedures
Gym appropriate wear is mandatory for all students during physical education. The gym uniform includes short blue shorts, a short-sleeved shirt and white socks as well as solid running shoes; also a blue tracksuit can be worn over the gym uniform when the temperature drops.
No child will be exempted from physical education classes, unless he/she has a valid medical note or a letter signed by parents and/or guardians
The teacher will adapt his/her teaching approach by using direct and indirect learning methods. This will help the student to exploit his/her potential to resolve the problems he/she faces, and successfully solve and overcome the difficult situations that will be on the way.
The physical education program at Socrates-Demosthène puts the emphasis on the importance of allowing each child to progress according to his/her own pace and abilities, allowing him/her to form his/her self-confidence, while being interested in sports and physical activity.
The teacher sets targets based on each student’s level. Physical activity will help the child to develop physical fitness as well as motor skills; it will also help him/her to understand the importance of adopting a healthy lifestyle and a great behavior consistent with this type of lifestyle.
The program plans for the engagement of students in grades K-6 for a minimum of 30 minutes of physical activity on a daily basis.
The program is available as a 50-minute class, and is given twice a week.[message_box title=”In kindergarten, 1st and 2nd grade:” color=”yellow”]
- Develop the motor skills of students by introducing them to basic and progressive games (running, jumping, throwing, catching, rolling, respect his/her space, directions, etc.).
- Familiarize students with the use of different equipment and devices.
- Teach the basics of a healthy lifestyle.
- Deepen the cognitive and motor skills of students.
- Introduce students to individual or team sports (athletics, basketball, hockey, gymnastics, soccer, badminton, etc.).
- Teach children the importance of good health and fitness.
- Deepen the student’s knowledge in various sports and introduce different strategies and made-in-games.
- Encourage students to think of different ways of moving and maintain healthy habits that they can apply throughout their lives.