For all of us, the Holiday Season is a joyous and festive occasion where we get together with family and friends to celebrate and reflect. We are no different at Socrates-Demosthenes. Our educational institution has been operating for over one hundred years, and even though many great things have been accomplished over the course of time we are not resting on our laurels. We constantly evolve, aiming for higher standards while progressively achieving our goals. Our students, your children, are proof of this. Their academic achievement in all fields is exceptional. It is no wonder that the majority of our graduates are accepted into the private high school of their choice, most preferring the French sector and passing their entrance exams without difficulty.
One of our main objectives remains to prepare your children not only for post-primary studies but for the challenges they will encounter later in life. It all begins with our advanced programs, with the incomparable cognitive stimulation, structured self-development and cultural values instilled in our students as they advance through our system. Regardless of how proficient they are when they enroll, they all graduate at an exceptionally high level. Their diplomas are distributed at a spectacular graduation ceremony which is followed by an unforgettable trip to Greece where they get to see and experience firsthand what their books and teachers had taught them through-out their primary years.
Our dedicated faculty assures the enrichment your child’s academic experience through a first-rate, dynamic and diverse learning environment. Every effort has been made by our School to provide a motivating and rewarding educational milieu. And in our safe and secure facilities, as parents, you have appreciated why our students, your children, have acquired this unique sense of belonging to their School. Few educational institutions boast this rare family feel.
We take pride in the fact that we incorporate new technologies in the curriculum, in all sectors. Along with the language programs, our School offers physical education and computer technology with specialists, an array of enriched cultural activities, as well as an enhanced extra-curricular and inter-scholastic program where children can further develop their talents in a series of clubs, teams and specialized activities. Furthermore, we also offer a quality Service Éducatif Parascolaire program, available daily and on pedagogical days for students to complete their homework with the assistance of educators where they also have the opportunity to participate in supervised socio-recreational activities.
Historically, our School has gone through many challenges that we have overcome one by one. In fact, our School has in some ways been shaped and defined by its most difficult moments. This past year was no exception, particularly the last six months of 2104. Yet once again the Hellenic Community of Greater Montreal, with your support and everyone’s goodwill has come through and we have managed to implement change, growth and improvement. We want to end the year with some wonderful news and accomplishments on several fronts:
• The HCGM finally reached an agreement for refinancing with BMO last month. This new financial arrangement will save our organization thousands of dollars and it will drastically improve our cash flow, an issue that has been pre-occupying us for a long while.
• The Greek State-sponsored teachers have completed the work permit process and are already in the classroom and are helping enrich our magnificent Greek program with their professionalism and expertise.
After recent Ministry of Education (MELS) inspections our School has received an A report card on every aspect, an accomplishment our entire team has contributed towards.
• MELS has also indicated that we will be receiving a positive confirmation for our first ever full-time high school early in the New Year. We are totally excited that we have achieved an objective 30 years in the making. This will be another glorious opportunity for your children to continue their post-primary studies in an institution that has been tried and tested.
• Our Laval mega-project that will regroup all our installations in one new Educational Center is advancing and is following a positive course slowly but surely towards reality. Achieving this ultimate goal will be our Community’s most major accomplishment in assuring the survival of the Greek language and Greek culture in Quebec.
• Just a few days ago we received the best Christmas present of all with the news we had all wished and hoped for following the sudden announcement last June that the Quebec Government was phasing out our $1.8 million transport grant in equal portions over three years. At least for this year MELS will be returning $580,000 in funding. Truly wonderful news after everyone’s never giving up attitude and effort on this issue.
Finally, the short, medium and long-term objectives that we have set combined with our relentless drive and your precious support have come into fruition as the years go by. Upon reflection, we have been transformed into an avant-garde school with purpose, pride, and vision. A school, that has set the standard in academic excellence.
On behalf of our faculty, our support staff, the Directors of Socrates-Demosthenes School and the General Direction personnel, we want to wish you the very best during this Holiday Season. We hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Healthy, Happy and Prosperous New Year!
The General Director